Please note that by logging on to this forum You agree to and accept its RULES

What you can see from the outside is only a small sample of whats inside

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

libere loqui amicus
Please Read NOTICES and RULES

Please note that by logging on to this forum You agree to and accept its RULES

What you can see from the outside is only a small sample of whats inside
libere loqui amicus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kids Company - Charity Or Establishment Valium?

4 posters

Go down

Kids Company - Charity Or Establishment Valium? Empty Kids Company - Charity Or Establishment Valium?

Post by BigAndy9 Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:20 pm

29th October 2015

So Kids Company was given approximately £46 million by the government.  Taxpayer's cash.

But Kids Company didn't come under the supervision of public servants.

This isn't unique though.

Are these organisations charities or not and was so much money ploughed in to it to keep people "sweet", "calm and quiet"?

Please discuss.

The NAO found that Kids Company received public funding for at least 15 years, with at least £42m provided in government grants, including £28m from the Department for Education and its predecessors.

It also received about £2m from councils and £2m from the National Lottery.

The key findings of the report were:

In 2008, Kids Company received 20% of the Department for Education's grant programme.
From 2011-2013 it received twice as much in grants as national children's charity Barnardo's.
Kids Company had not been required to compete for its annual grant since 2013.
Until 2013, the government relied "heavily" on the charity's own self-assessments to monitor its performance.
Inland Revenue wrote off the charity's tax debts of £590,000 in 2003.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34668760
BigAndy9
BigAndy9

Back to top Go down

Kids Company - Charity Or Establishment Valium? Empty Re: Kids Company - Charity Or Establishment Valium?

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:24 pm

I thought charities relied on voluntary contributions, not the tax payers' money.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Back to top Go down

Kids Company - Charity Or Establishment Valium? Empty Re: Kids Company - Charity Or Establishment Valium?

Post by BigAndy9 Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:27 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I thought charities relied on voluntary contributions, not the tax payers' money.

I think a lot of people thought that.
BigAndy9
BigAndy9

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAndy9 Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:31 pm

I remember reading this report by the Institute of Economic Affairs - take a look:

In the last 15 years, state funding of charities in Britain has increased significantly. 27,000 charities are now dependent on the government for more than 75 per cent of their income and the ‘voluntary sector’ receives more money from the state than it receives in voluntary donations.

http://www.iea.org.uk/in-the-media/press-release/government-should-stop-funding-lobbying-by-charities
BigAndy9
BigAndy9

Back to top Go down

Post by heavenlyfather Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:23 am

BigAndy9 wrote:I remember reading this report by the Institute of Economic Affairs - take a look:

In the last 15 years, state funding of charities in Britain has increased significantly. 27,000 charities are now dependent on the government for more than 75 per cent of their income and the ‘voluntary sector’ receives more money from the state than it receives in voluntary donations.

http://www.iea.org.uk/in-the-media/press-release/government-should-stop-funding-lobbying-by-charities

and this is what can happen, the govt were warned thi charity was in serious trouble too...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3296055/I-blackmailed-politicians-funding-says-Kids-Company-founder.html
heavenlyfather
heavenlyfather

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Victim support were always 80% funded by central govt 20% donations. But we never got anywhere near what they got. It was around 17 million for the whole country per annum. Now it's gone to the PCCs and is being dismantled. Every time concerns were raised about kids company they ended up getting more funding. I don't know if there has been fiddling but I do know they are a money pit.
Miffs2
Miffs2

Back to top Go down

Post by heavenlyfather Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:24 pm

people seem to get confused with non profit making organisations, they don't seem to realise they pay the top people a fortune out of their funding and donations and very little gets used for anything useful..
heavenlyfather
heavenlyfather

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAndy9 Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Miffs2 wrote:Victim support were always 80% funded by central govt 20% donations. But we never got anywhere near what they got. It was around 17 million for the whole country per annum. Now it's gone to the PCCs and is being dismantled. Every time concerns were raised about kids company they ended up getting more funding. I don't know if there has been fiddling but I do know they are a money pit.

Who's this we, Kemosabe? pirat
BigAndy9
BigAndy9

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:38 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:Victim support were always 80% funded by central govt 20% donations. But we never got anywhere near what they got. It was around 17 million for the whole country per annum. Now it's gone to the PCCs and is being dismantled. Every time concerns were raised about kids company they ended up getting more funding. I don't know if there has been fiddling but I do know they are a money pit.

Who's this we, Kemosabe?  pirat

Victim Support
Miffs2
Miffs2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAndy9 Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Who's this we, Kemosabe?  pirat

Victim Support

Hmmm ok.

I'm slightly confused - you said "Victim support were always 80% funded by central govt 20% donations. But we never got anywhere near what they got" (i would have thought, meaning WE didn't get as much as victim support) - who is we?

Or are we (me and you) getting crossed wires now and i should drop it lol
BigAndy9
BigAndy9

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:46 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:

Victim Support

Hmmm ok.

I'm slightly confused - you said "Victim support were always 80% funded by central govt 20% donations. But we never got anywhere near what they got" (i would have thought, meaning WE didn't get as much as victim support) - who is we?

Sorry Andy its me. Not enough caffeine. I meant we, victim support, never get or got anywhere near what kids company get. Very Happy
Miffs2
Miffs2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigAndy9 Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Hmmm ok.

Sorry Andy its me. Not enough caffeine. I meant we, victim support, never get or got anywhere near what kids company get. Very Happy

OK i read it back now and now i know you are victim support it does actually make sense - could have meant two different things!!

Well, as i considered in my title - was it to keep the rabble quiet?

Welfare benefits were given out by the Romans for just that reason.  Benefits are given out in huge amounts to keep us quiet.  This money i believe went to Londoners - those who seem to like rioting and stabbing people.

Consider this - if all benefits stopped tomorrow, what would happen - there'd be riots of course.

EDIT: but of course these people, if adults would have been getting the same as others on benefits, PLUS whatever Kids Company gave them.

If they were youths, they were just getting a ton of pocket money - money that our children don't get.

Fair?
BigAndy9
BigAndy9

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:08 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:

OK i read it back now and now i know you are victim support it does actually make sense - could have meant two different things!!

Well, as i considered in my title - was it to keep the rabble quiet?

Welfare benefits were given out by the Romans for just that reason.  Benefits are given out in huge amounts to keep us quiet.  This money i believe went to Londoners - those who seem to like rioting and stabbing people.

Consider this - if all benefits stopped tomorrow, what would happen - there'd be riots of course.

EDIT: but of course these people, if adults would have been getting the same as others on benefits, PLUS whatever Kids Company gave them.

If they were youths, they were just getting a ton of pocket money - money that our children don't get.

Fair?

No not fair. Their results never justified what they spent. I think a lot of it was to shut her up and avoid being labelled ...'ist'
Miffs2
Miffs2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down